Metrolink tests to close roads for Reading game
- Thu 20 Dec 2012, 8:13AM
- Posted by Mark Booth
Supporters should be made aware that there will be road closures affecting the movement of traffic around the Etihad Stadium for Saturday's game against Reading.
As work is progressing to create a new Metrolink line from Manchester Piccadilly to Ashton-under-Lyne, testing is required of the services during a typical Manchester City home match.
For that reason, the council need to temporarily close Beswick Street at its junction with Merril Street and restrict vehicular access westbound along Merril Street from Ashton New Road.
These tests will take place between 4.30pm and 6pm on Saturday 22 December 2012 and will therefore affect supporters after full-time.
The purpose of the test is to determine measures required to improve the movement of traffic in the local area following the end of football games at the Etihad Stadium.
A local signposted diversion will be in place and vehicular access will be maintained via Pollard Street.
Please note that the City Link walking route will be re-opened for this match (from Holt Town to City Square and the entrance is on the right hand side of the Blue Moon Cafe).
- Beswick Street at its junction with Merril Street will be closed between 4.30pm and 6pm.
- Vehicle access westbound along Merril Street from Ashton New Road (heading into the City centre) will be restricted between 4.30pm and 6pm.
- All traffic heading towards the city will be directed left onto Every Street.
- The City Link walking route from Holt Town to City Square will be re-opened for the match.
- Pedestrian access on Beswick Street, Pollard Street and Merril Street will be maintained at all time.
- This work will affect supporters after full-time of the Reading match on Saturday.