City unveil 2013/14 Nike away kit
- 23 July 2013 05:00
- Posted by @markbooth_mcfc
Nike’s first ever Manchester City away kit has been revealed.
City will play in a new away kit next season paying homage to their rich history and the club’s founding fathers.
City were created as St Mark’s in 1880, before becoming Gorton AFC in 1884, and then Ardwick AFC between 1887 and 1894.
The new City away shirt has a subtle half and half design, which represents Ardwick AFC who played in the same design during the 1890-91 season. The halves of the shirt are in dark charcoal and black representing Gorton AFC who played in a black shirt, the first ever recorded kit of what would become Manchester City in 1884.
The shirt features a grandfather collar, a long placket and a stand at the back.
The Manchester City crest, the Nike swoosh and sponsor’s logo are all in gold to represent the club’s recent success in modern times.
The new away shorts are black, while the new away socks are black with a dark charcoal band at the top.
The new kit showcases Nike's commitment to aiding the performance of players with key technological benefits:
- The kit is made from recycled polyester as part of Nike’s commitment to produce performance apparel with reduced environmental impact. The shirt and shorts of each kit are made from up to thirteen recycled plastic water bottles.
- In the pioneering process, plastic bottles are chopped into flakes, then melted down to form yarn that is spun into fabric, reducing energy consumption by up to 30 percent compared to manufacturing virgin polyester.
- Since 2010, Nike has diverted more than 1.1 billion plastic bottles from landfill through the use of recycled polyester.
Fabric and Nike Dri-Fit
- The kit weighs just 150 grams, 23 percent lighter than previous Nike kits. It also boasts a 20 percent stronger knit structure and significantly improved stretch.
- The fabric uses Nike Dri-FIT technology to draw sweat away from the body through the fabric where it can evaporate, to keep players cool and dry.
- Ventilation zones, consisting of tiny laser-cut holes, feature under the arms on both sides, as well as at the shorts waistband, to allow additional comfort and cooling. A mesh panel across the entire back increases air circulation.
Fit and construction
- The shirt has been crafted with bonded T-bars to support the seams at key points and inner welded seams with a clean finish to give a more striking appearance, while also increasing comfort and performance.
Nike Pro Combat
- To complete the ultimate playing uniform for modern football, Nike Pro Combat baselayer is supplied to be worn underneath the match-day kit, offering players greater comfort and impact protection.
- The Nike Pro Combat range of long-sleeve and short-sleeve tops made of sweat-wicking fabric allows players to keep cool and dry in hot conditions, and warm and dry when the weather becomes cold. The slider shorts feature extra padding and thigh protection to absorb impact so players can go to ground and tackle with greater confidence.