Man City v Newcastle - Manchester City FC

Accessibility links

Access other Manchester City products

Under 18s running action
  • Manchester City

    City 2

    Cole 6, Kennedy 71

  • Newcastle United

    Newcastle United 3

    Nicholson 14, Knightn 55, Hooper 90

  • Match reports
  • 10 September 2011 15:00
  • Posted by Emily Brobyn

City’s Under 18s suffered their first defeat of the season, losing 3-2 to a strong Newcastle United side at Platt Lane.

It was the visitors who started brightly with a succession of early corners. However, just six minutes into the game City took the lead.

A free-kick from Alex Henshall was played down the right to Adam Drury. His ball into the box was met by Devante Cole whose towering header flew past Newcastle’s goalkeeper Alex Baird.

The in-form Cole nearly made it two just moments later, but his shot from a tight angle trickled past the left post. Both sides were on the offence, making the game an open, lively and physical encounter.

Despite the early set-back, the Magpies grew into the game and eventually forced an equaliser. A corner from Dennis Knight was headed home by Newcastle’s Alex Nicholson. The visitors had thrown the gauntlet down and it was game on for both sides.

The Blues threatened again just before the break when Luke Coulson broke down the right. His ball to Drury was passed to Henshall, who fired his shot over from the edge of the box. It was encouraging and clever play from City against a strong and resilient Newcastle side.

With blustery conditions throughout, the Blues continued to strive for a second goal after the break. The exciting 17 year-old Albert Rusnak created a string of chances, but Magpies keeper Baird was on hand to deny the Slokanian. Rusnak’s clever and inventive play was worthy of a goal, but it was Newcastle who took the lead, with midfielder Knight drilling home from the edge of the box.

With 70 minutes gone, City defender Greg Leigh’s effort was cleared off the line by Michael Hoganson, but the Blues clinched an equaliser seconds later when a goal-mouth scramble resulted in captain Kieran Kennedy slotting into the net, but that wasn't the end of the scoring.

Newcastle refused to accept a point was enough and grabbed a last-gasp winner in extra time when Jonathan Hooper broke clear of the City defence and fired his shot comprehensively past Blues keeper Tom Halsall.

Like this? Share it.

Match details

Saturday 10 September 2011, 12:00PM

Barclays Premier Academy League

Mr S Mycock


Manchester City:

Halsall, Coulson, Kennedy (c), Plummer, Leigh, Clowes (Evans 73), Drury, Huws, Cole (Hiwula 45), Rusnak, Henshall (King)

Unused subs:
O'Brien, Hutton

Newcastle United:

Baird, Nicholson, Toland, Miele, Streete (c), Storey, Taylor, Knight, Hooper, Campbell, Hoganson

Unused subs:
Smith, Grant, Turton, Aird, Lopez-Cardona

All times are taken from a live feed and are approximate at time of publishing.

This site uses cookies. By clicking allow you are agreeing to our use of cookies.