Manchester City Under 18s draw one all with Liverpool Under 18s - Manchester City FC

Accessibility links

Access other Manchester City products

under 18s group hug shot
  • Liverpool

    Liverpool 1

    Lussey 88

  • Manchester City

    City 1

    McHale 8

  • Match reports
  • 21 January 2012 14:58
  • Posted by Emily Brobyn

City’s Under 18s battled the elements to secure a well-earned point with a 1-1 draw against a testing Liverpool side in the Barclays Premier Academy League.

With experienced players Alex Henshall, Courtney Meppen-WaltersDevante Cole and leading goal-scorer Jordi Hiwula missing after the Blues’ superb 4-1 victory in the FA Youth Cup fourth round tie against Swindon Town on Tuesday night, Adam Sadler was forced to field a much younger side for the trip to a windswept Merseyside.


The Blues started positively and seized the initiative after eight minutes, when a free kick into the box from George King was met with a looping header from Dominic McHale that beat Liverpool goalkeeper Tyrell Belford into the net.

With City gaining the advantage, Liverpool ventured forward in search of an equaliser but struggled to create any chances of note. The blustery conditions made life difficult for both sides, but the Blues seemed happy to absorb any pressure and tried to attack on the break through the lively McHale.

However a mistake by City defender Greg Leigh gifted Liverpool midfielder Jack Dunn a chance to draw level, but his shot produced an excellent save by Angus Gunn.

Just moments later the Blues were awarded a penalty after King was fouled by Matty Regan. Slovakian play-maker Albert Rusnak took the spot-kick and Reds’ goal-keeper Belford produced a solid stop to prevent City from doubling their lead.

After the break Liverpool continued to dominate possession and piled the pressure on in a persistent hunt to draw level, with substitute Adam Morgan blazing over the bar.

With 20 minutes left, Liverpool were awarded a penalty when City defender Ashley Smith-Brown was adjudged to have clipped Ryan McLaughlin in the area. Morgan took the chance and Gunn made a crucial stop with his legs to maintain the Blues’ advantage.

Captain Paul Clowes went close for City with a powerful shot but Liverpool found an equaliser with just a couple of minutes to go through a free kick from Jordan Lussey.

Like this? Share it.

Match details

Saturday 21 January 2012, 11:00AM

Barclays Premier Academy League



Belford, McLaughlin, Pelosi, Rafferty, Regan, Baio, Peterson (Morgan 45), Dunn, Emilsson (Sokolik 62), Hatch (Ibe 45), Lussey.

Unused subs:
Wearing, Mukendi.

Manchester City:

Gunn, Coulson, Plummer, Leigh, Smith-Brown, Clowes, Hutton, Glendon, McHale (Barker 54), Rusnak, King (Bryan 83).

Unused subs:
Adarabioyo, Sharpe, Horsefield.

All times are taken from a live feed and are approximate at time of publishing.

This site uses cookies. By clicking allow you are agreeing to our use of cookies.