On this day September 4 - Manchester City FC

Accessibility links

Access other Manchester City products

On this Day
Season 2012/13

On this day: 4 September

  • 04 September 2012 08:01
  • Posted by Mark Booth

Looking back through the history books for the events, signings and memorable matches that happened on this day in City’s history.

Saturday 4th September 1977

Mike Channon scores his first City goals since signing from Southampton for £300,000. The England striker gets off the mark against Norwich City at Maine Road and further goals from Asa Hartford and Paul Power complete a 4-0 win that puts the Blues two points clear of second placed Liverpool at the top of Division One. 

Though Tony Book’s side finished one point behind the Merseysiders the previous season, Channon was the only major acquisition during the summer with QPR’s England star Gerry Francis’ back problem scuppering a big-money move north. City would eventually finish fourth that season.

mick channon

Saturday 4th September 1965

Youngster Glyn Pardoe catches the eye as he scores his second brace in successive games during the 3-3 draw away to Coventry. The youth team product impressed with two goals the previous week during a 2-1 home win over Carlisle United, yet Joe Mercer will convert the youngster to one of the best full-backs in the country within the next 18 months. With nine goals, Pardoe finishes second top scorer in the 1965/66 campaign.

Saturday 4th September 1982

Dennis Tueart gives City a third-minute lead against Watford but shortly after the Blues lose keeper Joe Corrigan with a dislocated shoulder. Full-back Bobby McDonald goes in goal for the remaining 80 minutes of the game and is roared on by a crowd of almost 30,000 as he repels attack after attack to finally help John Bond’s side to an unlikely 1-0 win and a third successive victory of the new season. The Blues go top, but will finish the season with relegation after a dreadful second half to the 1982/83 campaign.


Tuesday 4th September 1979

City seem to be heading out of the League Cup, trailing 1-0 with a minute to go against Sheffield Wednesday. Having drawn the first leg at Hillsborough 1-1, the 24,074 crowed expected the Blues to progress and as many drifted out of Maine Road, it seemed as though that was the end of the road in this competition for another season – until Tony Henry equalised on 90 minutes and then scored another a minute later to send those remaining in the ground wild and complete an incredible turnaround. 

Like this? Share it.

etihad stadium

Stadium and Club Tour

This site uses cookies. By clicking allow you are agreeing to our use of cookies.