Zabaleta: We'll come back stronger
- 13 May 2013 11:16
- Posted by@dclayton_mcfc
Pablo Zabaleta admits he is still hurting from Saturday’s FA Cup final defeat to Wigan.
The Argentina defender selflessly sacrificed his own contribution when he was shown a second yellow card after halting Callum McManaman as he threatened to go through on goal.
He said: “It is hard to accept some defeats like this because we knew it was going to be a difficult game.
“The way Wigan play is good and on a big pitch like Wembley they felt comfortable.
“They played a fantastic game and had control of the ball practically all the game, from the first minute to the end.
“Tactically they were better than us and we need to accept we didn’t play our best game and they have fully deserved the win.”
Speaking of the dismissal that made him only the third man to be sent off in an FA Cup final, he added: “I knew it was a difficult situation.
"McManaman was going towards goal and obviously I had already been booked. My decision was to try to stop him and I went a bit late
I was frustrated to get sent off in a big game but this is part of football. I know as a defender we can sometimes be exposed at the back and we need to make these types of tackles and fouls.
Typically, Zabaleta is now looking ahead to next season and says the Blues are determined that they will learn from the disappointment of losing the final and the title this campaign.
“This season has practically gone and we need to come back next season stronger and try to win something again. We need to learn from this and come back next year with a better mentality.
“If we want to keep winning trophies we need to give more and be more consistent because this is the Premier League - the most competitive league in the world and if you give any chance to the teams they will take them.
“It’s difficult at the moment but we need to be positive and keep working hard.”