City not ready, claims Mancini
- Mon 05 Nov 2012, 8:53AM
- Posted by Nicola McCarthy
Roberto Mancini’s claim that City are not ready to win the Champions League appears in most of this morning’s back pages.
The City boss made the comments at Upton Park following the Blues’ 0-0 draw with West Ham on Saturday.
“We are not ready to win the Champions League,” he told The Telegraph.
“If we said this [that lifting the trophy was possible] we are not honest. I think we are a good team, but we are not ready like other teams.”
It is hard to decipher though if these are the Italian’s true thoughts, or if they were simply designed to take the pressure off his players like he has done in the past.
“Mancini does have form in publicly under-playing his team’s trophy-winning potential to motivate his players,” noted Jim White in the same article.
“But on this occasion he may well have been doing no more than stating the obvious.”
One man keeping the faith is skipper Vincent Kompany who puts City’s performances so far in the campaign down to lack of experience.
“Vincent Kompany has claimed it is a matter of time before Manchester City find a winning formula in the Champions League,” reports Kevin Palmer of ESPN.
“He remains convinced they will begin to sparkle against the continent's best sooner rather than later.”
“Toure is joined by fellow Ivory Coast internationals Didier Drogba and Gervinho on the 10-man shortlist.
“Newcastle United striker Demba Ba, Chelsea's John Obi Mikel and the former Arsenal midfielder Alexandre Song ensure a strong representation of players who competed in England's Premier League during 2012.
“Toure and Drogba are likely to find their toughest challenge from Morocco's Younes Belhanda who proved the key player in Montpellier's Ligue 1 success earlier this year.”