What The Media Says about Manchester City 30 October - Manchester City FC

Accessibility links

Access other Manchester City products

What the MEDIA says finished
Season 2012/13

Micah blow grabs headlines

  • 30 October 2012 09:00
  • Posted by David Clayton

Micah Richards’ injury makes most of the headlines this morning with several tabloids reporting the City star won’t play again until next January.

Richards, who had returned to first-team action with a series of barnstorming performances following an injury sustained with Team GB during the summer, was stretchered off at the weekend after collapsing in agony as he ran back to defend a cross.

Now it appears he will be absent for two months, though we will bring the latest news of his recovery on mcfc.co.uk as soon as we have it.

The Daily Telegraph’s Mark Ogden covers the story with this report:  “Micah Richards faces a battle to play again this year after undergoing knee surgery on Monday that is likely to see the Manchester City defender sidelined until Christmas at the earliest.

“The 24 year-old, who was carried off in the closing stages of Saturday’s 1-0 victory against Swansea at the Etihad Stadium, damaged the meniscus cartilage in his right knee while running back towards goal.

“Moments earlier, the former England full-back forced play to be stopped in order to receive treatment for cramp, but his efforts to continue in the game were ended abruptly when he collapsed to the ground clutching his knee in the 81st minute.

Micah

“Attempts to scan Richards’s knee over the weekend proved unsuccessful owing to the extent of swelling around knee joint, but after the injury was assessed on Monday, the defender underwent surgery in the afternoon.

“Although the initial prognosis suggests that the player faces six to eight weeks out of action, the injury will be reassessed once Richards begins his rehabilitation.”

The news is a major blow to City and England and England and everyone connected with the Club wishes Micah a speedy recovery.

Meanwhile, the Daily Star, Neil Johnson quotes Gareth Barry in his piece on the Blues. Johnson focuses on Barry’s after-match comments following a hard-fought victory over the Swans at the weekend.

He writes: “Gareth Barry has admitted Manchester City are ¬struggling to cope with being champions. City, who won the Premier League crown last May, are third in the table but are nowhere near top form.

“They have scored 18 goals in their first 9 league games – last season they had 33. Roberto Mancini’s side also need a miracle to stay in the Champions League.

“Blues midfielder Barry said: ‘The start of the season is completely different to last year, but this season is what being champions is all about.

“’You’re going to find it tougher because teams want to beat you that little bit more. And this is what we’re finding out.’”

Having said that, the third-placed Blues, unbeaten in 15 Premier League games, aren’t doing too badly!

Like this? Share it.

This site uses cookies. By clicking allow you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Allow