What the media says about Manchester City on 22 August - Manchester City FC

Accessibility links

Access other Manchester City products

What the MEDIA says finished
Season 2013/14

Guardian: City to meet asking price for Demichelis?

  • 22 August 2013 08:25
  • Posted by @markbooth_mcfc

Today’s lead story concerns the hunt for a centre back to provide cover for Vincent Kompany.

While the club waits to hear the extent of the skipper’s injury sustained against Newcastle, it’s thought that Manuel Pellegrini may go back into the market for one of his former players.

Atletico Madrid defender Martin Demichelis has reportedly emerged as Pellegrini’s preferred option after Real Madrid refused to part with Pepe.

“City have been told they must pay €5m (£4.26m) for Martín Demichelis, as Manuel Pellegrini focuses on the Atlético Madrid central defender now that the pursuit of Pepe has ended because Real Madrid are not willing to sell the Portuguese,” Jamie Jackson of the Guardian writes.

“Yet with Atlético placing that price on Demichelis despite him being 32 and having signed just a one-year deal when arriving as a free agent from Málaga earlier this summer, City are keen to pay less. It is thought their valuation is closer to €3m, though the club may find their bargaining position compromised.”

“While Demichelis worked under Pellegrini for two seasons at Málaga, if the manager decides not to risk Nastasic for Sunday's trip to Cardiff City he could choose to press either Gareth Barry or Javi García into emergency service alongside Lescott.”

Group celeb

It’s not only defenders being linked with the Etihad Stadium.

Derby’s England under-21 playmaker Will Hughes is a name that will be familiar to loyal readers of our media round-up as he’s repeatedly been suggested as a possible signing for City.

That story is back in the Daily Star today, with Rams boss Nigel Clough warning City and Liverpool have both been told they must spend big to land the 18-year old.

“Nobody knows what we want or what the fee is going to be come the time, because we have not got a specific valuation in mind,” Clough stated.

“Would it be more than £6m? Yes, I think it is fair to say that.

“We just think it is going to be a very, very substantial figure to tempt him away. We’ve had no bids or contact from anybody.

“If someone comes in through the front door and makes an official enquiry or bid, we will have to react to it.”

Remember that the only place you can read confirmed transfer stories before that window slams shut is here on mcfc.co.uk

This site uses cookies. By clicking allow you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Allow