What the media says about Manchester City 29 July - Manchester City FC

Accessibility links

Access other Manchester City products

What the MEDIA says finished
Season 2013/14

Guardian: Pellegrini may seek Nastasic cover

  • 29 July 2013 08:30
  • Posted by @markbooth_mcfc

Today’s reports centre on the injury sustained to Matija Nastasic in the Barclays Asia Trophy win over Sunderland.

Various news outlets print that the Serbian may miss the start of the season after sustaining an ankle injury and that Manuel Pellegrini may seek defensive cover before the transfer window closes.

The new City boss had not ruled out the possibility of adding to his quartet of new signings in the post-match press conference.

"I said [before] that we could do something else before the Premier League starts but maybe we stay with the same squad,” Pellegrini stated, “At the moment we aren't that concerned about that but I'm very happy with the squad we have."

Jamie Jackson of the Guardian believes that the Chilean’s hand may be forced after Nastasic went off after 75 minutes in Hong Kong.

“Manuel Pellegrini, faces being without Nastasic for the opening game at home to Newcastle United on 19 August,” Jackson wrote.

“An MRI scan on Monday is expected to show he will be out for three weeks after sustaining an ankle injury in the 1-0 Asia Trophy final win over Sunderland.

“The manager is known to be an admirer of Pepe, although Madrid warned off approaches for the Portugal international earlier this month.”

It’s notoriously difficult to read anything into pre-season games but that hasn’t stopped the nation's journalists having a good go at it.

Mark Ogden of the Daily Telegraph spoke to TalkSport yesterday and stated his belief that Pellegrini has transformed the mood in the squad.

Edin Dzeko

“He is very different to Mancini," Ogden said, speaking on the Weekend Sports Breakfast. "Mancini was very volatile. Pellegrini is a lot more relaxed and laid back and you can see that in the mood of the squad."

You can listen to that interview here.

In other news, Barcelona are being linked with a move for City’s Spanish youth international, Denis Suarez.

The former Celta Vigo man has made one appearance for the first-team since joining City in 2011 and reports from Spain suggest he could be Nou Camp-bound this summer.

“Barcelona, not tempted by Luis Suarez's desire to leave the Premier League, are preparing a £3.5million bid to bring his namesake Denis back to Spain from Manchester City,” Matthew Morlidge of the Daily Mail reports.

“Suarez, who starred in Spain's Under-20 World Cup campaign in Turkey, is now being targeted by the Catalan giants according to Spanish paper Marca, to play for their B team next season.”

Remember that the only place you can read confirmed transfer stories is here on mcfc.co.uk this summer.

This site uses cookies. By clicking allow you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Allow