Guardian: The Beast finds the Premier League to his liking
- 10 November 2013 09:08
- Posted by @markbooth_mcfc
City travel to Wearside this afternoon with the league’s most potent strikeforce hoping to end a run of three successive 1-0 defeats at the Stadium of Light.
Ahead of this crucial clash, one half of the Sky Blues’ deadly strike partnership, Alvaro Negredo, has given an interview which appears in the back pages of many publications this morning.
“The Beast” has been talking about his expectations on his move to England and how much he’s enjoying his new life in Manchester.
"Most of what I had heard about the Premier League turns out to be true," Negredo said.
"You look at it from outside and think: "OK, I've got my expectations" but then you actually come here and see what it means to people and to be playing in it and you suddenly realise: 'Wow, my expectations need to go up here!' That is what I am trying to do and I am enjoying it."
"I like going for walks, going around the city with my family, but the truth is that there have been such a lot of games recently I haven't done much more than stay at home and rest.
"There hasn't been too much time to do a lot of wandering around but I have signed for four years, so I have a while yet to find out about Manchester."
"I've never met Shaun Goater but I am aware that he was really well loved here and a few team-mates have explained the song.
"I like it a lot but I have liked it here right from the first day. When you go out in the streets people say hello to you, wish you good morning, it's a really great feeling.
“People paint England a bit black but you know it is not too bad at all. It is one of the best decisions I have made on a personal level and a football level."
One player being linked with a move away from the Etihad Stadium is Joleon Lescott.
Opportunities have been limited for the Wolverhampton-born defender so far this season and the Sunday Mirror’s Matt Law reckons that Joleon may be set for a reunion with Mark Hughes at Stoke City in a cut price deal.
“The defender is out of contract next summer and the 31-year-old still hopes to force his way back into England manager Roy Hodgson’s squad in time for the World Cup,” Law reports.
“Hughes paid £22million for Lescott while he was the Blues' manager, and the Welshman is still a big fan of his former player.
“City may be willing to let Lescott leave for as little as £2m in the New Year, but the former Everton man will have to accept a cut to his £90,000-a-week wages to join the Potters.”
Finally, stop me if you’ve heard this one before… City are reported to be interested in Isco...
...What the Media Says - 10 November 2013...
Of course the playmaker’s move to join Real Madrid was one of the major transfer stories of the summer, with media outlets reporting that Isco turned down a move to City in the process.
Well, SportsDirect News reckon that Manuel Pellegrini may well try and get his man again in the January transfer window while the Spanish international struggles to dislodge Gareth Bale from the team.
“The Chilean has since received word from Spain that the 21-year-old is already fed-up with life at the Bernabeu, and could now be regretting his decision,” Hugh Soutter writes.
“Isco started the season in impressive form and felt a move to Real would also enhance his claims to go to next summer's World Cup finals with Spain.
“But Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti has altered the formation of his forward line in recent games to accommodate Gareth Bale - leaving Isco on the sidelines.
“City refused to go higher than £21m for the 21-year-old but sources have indicated they would still be interested if both Madrid and the player are now ready to go their separate ways.”
Between this and the links with Edinson Cavani the other day, it's as if 2013 never happened.
Remember, no deal is official until you read it here on mcfc.co.uk.