What the media says about MCFC: 19 July 2014 - Manchester City FC

Accessibility links

Access other Manchester City products

Close



Continue to mcfc.co.uk

Continue to mcfc.co.uk
What the MEDIA says finished
Season 2014/15

FourFourTwo: Yaya Toure to stay at City

  • 19 July 2014 10:59
  • Posted by @roline_mcfc

Another day, another heap of transfer speculation. So what City-related tales are making the headlines this morning?

Let's start with FourFourTwo's claim that Yaya Toure will remain a Blue for the forseeable future.

An article on the magazine's website reads: "The Ivory Coast international, 31, had been linked with a move away from the champions throughout the close-season.

"Despite all the speculation, Toure said he wanted to see out his contract, which expires in mid-2017."

Quoted in the piece, Toure states: "There has been a lot of speculation but they [City] have always been good with me and good with my family.

"I want to say that I will always honour my contract and stay as long as possible and don't think about all the speculation saying that I'm leaving.

"For the fans for all they have done for me and the club as well, I need to say it's a big pleasure to stay and continue and try to enjoy the next season.

yaya

"Everything is fine now. There was a lot of speculation about people sending me away and people were sending me everywhere.

"I think sometimes it can be disappointing and I need to do something for the fans because people love me and people want to hear about what is happening.

"It's important as well to keep them in a good way and let them know that the team are preparing well and we'll try to do it again next year."

Hallelujah! Now, let's hope that's the last we hear of it!

Elsewhere, the Manchester Evening News believe James Milner is seeking guarantees over his future at City, as the midfielder is reluctant to leave but wants first-team football.

Writes Steven Sutcliffe: "MEN Sport understands that Arsenal, Aston Villa, Everton and Sunderland have all approached the champions about the midfielder’s availability, while three other clubs – one of whom is thought to be Liverpool – have also expressed a desire to land the player and have asked to be kept informed of developments.

"However Milner, who has just entered the final year of his contract is unlikely to ask for a move away from the Etihad and is instead prepared see out his present deal, which ends next June, before coming to any firm decision on his future.

"Under the terms of that agreement, Milner will be able to speak to other clubs from January 1, 2015 and then leave on a free transfer at the end of the season, a situation that the club’s hierarchy desperately wants to avert.

milner

"City, for their part, remain insistent that Milner is a valued member of their squad and have rebuffed all attempts to prise him away – telling potential suitors that they have no intention of allowing the England midfielder to leave this summer."

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how that one pans out.

And finally, Goal.com are reporting that Roma are leading the chase to sign Matija Nastasic, who apparently will be surplus to requirements should Eliaquim Mangala join the club.

According to Paul Clennam: "The Premier League champions have already agreed a €40 million (£31.6m) deal with Porto for Eliaquim Mangala, and the 23-year-old centre-back is expected to be officially announced as a City player when he returns from his post-World Cup holiday at the start of August.

"Mangala’s arrival means City will not pursue their interest in Roma's Mehdi Benatia, who was an alternative option if the France international opted to join Chelsea.

"City are open to offers for Nastasic as the signing of Mangala will take their non-homegrown quota to 19 - two players over the Premier League's limit.

"Karim Rekik, who is classed as a homegrown player having joined City at the age of 16 from Feyenoord, spent last season on loan at PSV but will be part of Manuel Pellegrini's central defence next term alongside Mangala, Vincent Kompany and Martin Demichelis.

"Roma are keen to bolster their central defensive options but the Serie A club, who have already signed Ashley Cole on a free transfer from Chelsea this summer, are unwilling to meet City’s €19m valuation for Nastasic.

"The 21-year-old is also being tracked by his former club Fiorentina, while Inter are exploring the possibility of a move."

That's all for today. Come back to mcfc.co.uk at the same time tomorrow for another round-up of City-related media speculation. In the meantime, have you watched the highlights from yesterday's friendly win over Hearts?

Like this? Share it.

This site uses cookies. By clicking allow you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Allow