What the Media says about Manchester City 21 July 2014 - Manchester City FC

Accessibility links

Access other Manchester City products

Close



Continue to mcfc.co.uk

Continue to mcfc.co.uk
What the MEDIA says finished
Season 2014/15

Marca: Caballero returns to Malaga to explain City switch

  • 21 July 2014 06:44
  • Posted by @markbooth_mcfc

New City goalkeeper Willy Caballero has taken the opportunity to return to Malaga to say a final goodbye to the club which was his home for three years.

The 32-year old held a press conference in Spain where he explained in greater detail his reasons for joining the Premier League champions.

“I've left a club where I felt happy", Caballero is quoted as saying in Marca. "I was treated incredibly; better than anything I've ever experienced before", he added.

"I'll have them [the Malaga fans] in my heart wherever I go because they gave me so much affection. I felt coming back here today was the right way to say goodbye and thank all of you.

"Hopefully the doors will remain open for me to return one day, either as a player or in another capacity; I have a house here and we were very happy in the city.

"I'm going to stay true to what my heart tells me and my code of ethics, play and enjoy my football the way I did here.”

Elsewhere, right-backs seem to dominate the City-centric headlines you’re waking up to this morning.

Micah Richards, Pablo Zabaleta and Bacary Sagna are all mentioned in a couple of different stories on pages printed on paper and rendered with pixels.

First up, the Daily Express is reporting that Richards may seek a loan move elsewhere in the Premier League.

Journalist Ben Jefferson penned: “Richards is hoping that Manchester City will let him join Liverpool, Tottenham or Newcastle on loan next season.

“Several clubs have approached City about signing Richards this summer, with Liverpool thought to be the latest club to hold talks with the Citizens.

“But so far all have been put off by City's £7m asking price for the 26-year-old."

...Daily Express...

“City have added Bacary Sagna to a squad already featuring Pablo Zabaleta this summer, meaning Richards first-team opportunities look to be even more limited next term.

“Not only is Richards out-of-favour at the Etihad but he is also entering the final year of his current contract, meaning clubs would rather wait a year to sign the player for free rather than splash out £7m now.”

As ever, mcfc.co.uk is the place for confirmed transfer stories when deals are signed and sealed.

Finally, the Daily Star’s Paul Hetherington believes that Sagna will be City’s starting right-back when the season gets under way in three weeks.

That’s due to the number of games Zabaleta played last season, as well in this summer’s World Cup.

“City bosses believe that Pablo Zabaleta – the first-team regular in that role – needs an extended break,” Hetherington argues.

“Zabaleta, 29, rarely misses a match and the tough defender also played all the way through the World Cup as Argentina reached the final.

“City are concerned about burnout or the risk of injury to fan favourite Zabaleta, who has been told he does not have to return to training until the second week in August.

“That means Frenchman Sagna, 31, who City signed on a free transfer from Arsenal, looks set to face his old club at Wembley in the Community Shield on August 10.”

Like this? Share it.

This site uses cookies. By clicking allow you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Allow