Holloway: Pellegrini was manager of the season
- 18 May 2014 09:07
- Posted by @dclayton_mcfc
Millwall boss Ian Holloway says he still can’t understand why Manuel Pellegrini didn’t pick up a top managerial award for a stellar first season in charge at City.
‘Ollie’, writing in his regular Sunday Mirror column believes that the LMA got it wrong in snubbing the City boss and, as ever, isn’t afraid to say so.
He writes: “Manuel Pellegrini might do the Treble for Manchester City next season. Perhaps then he will get some recognition from his peers.
“I couldn’t believe it when I heard last week that City’s Chilean boss had been overlooked by the League Managers’ Association (LMA) for the Manager of the Year award.
“How can a man, who lifted both the Premier League title and the Capital One Cup during his first season in England, not be honoured for those fantastic achievements by the very people who know just how hard it is to be a winner?
“Brendan Rodgers took the LMA crown after taking Liverpool to within touching distance of the club’s first championship in 24 years.
“I was one of those 'neutrals' who was hoping that the title would return to Anfield during a season that marked the 25th anniversary of the Hillsborough tragedy.
“In the final reckoning, Liverpool finished two points and 14 goals away from achieving their dream. Brendan did, indeed, prove what a fantastic young manager he is, by taking a team that had finished seventh last season so close.
But – and I honestly don’t mean any disrespect to Brendan or his club – Liverpool finished second
"Man City took the title – and that makes them the top team in the country, and Pellegrini the best manager. And they also won a Wembley cup final.”
We’ve used a big chunk there, but there’s plenty more and it’s well worth a read.
Moving on and the transfer speculation involving City continues to gather pace with Sky Sports’ James Cooper suggesting the Blues will allow a quintet of English players to leave this summer.
Says Cooper: "Manchester City are still willing to let three of their homegrown players leave this summer despite the restrictions placed on the club for failing to comply with UEFA's Financial Fair Play rules.
City will see their Champions League squad trimmed to 21 names as one of the punishments handed out by European football's governing body, but it appears they will let Micah Richards, Jack Rodwell and Scott Sinclair depart the Etihad Stadium during the forthcoming transfer window.
Coupled with the departures of two other players who are out of contract this summer, Gareth Barry and Joleon Lescott, it means the new Premier League champions will mount the defence of their title without five of their current English contingent.
Finally, we return to the Mirror who claim that the incoming summer activity may start imminently, with the acquisition of Arsenal defender Bacary Sagna.
Chris Richards writes: “Sagna is reportedly set to sign a £7 million a year deal with Manchester City.
“The French right back, 31, is said to have told his Gunners teammates ahead of yesterday's FA Cup final against Hull that he would be joining the Blues on a free transfer.”
More of the same tomorrow…