Mirror: Sagna deal imminent
- 23 May 2014 11:07
- Posted by @NieldyMCFC
If the insatiable gossip and rumour mill of the media is to be believed, a host of City’s stars could be heading for the exit door this summer!
However, one player who has categorically said he is going nowhere is midfield wizard David Silva. Speaking in his home town of Arguineguin on the island of Gran Canaria ahead of the World Cup, the playmaker insists all is well behind the scenes at the champions. The Mail’s Chris Wheeler quotes the Spaniard in his report:
“‘You never get tired of winning and at the moment I’m winning with City, so I don’t have any ideas of making a change.
“‘We scored a lot of goals this season and it looks as though it’s building up to a good future.
The manager has created a good atmosphere and brought a better energy to the pace and the result of that is we have won two trophies so far.
“Asked if could extend his contract at City in future, the 28-year-old said: ‘That depends on the club, not necessarily on me. At the moment I’m happy and happy to stay there.
“‘With football you can never predict what’s going to happen but at the moment I’m very happy and don’t see any changes.’
“Silva, who will be looking to win his fourth major tournament in a row with Spain, believes that City are ready to take the next step and conquer Europe.
“‘We want to build up to winning the Champions League,’ added Silva. ‘This year the group wasn’t too difficult but we aspire to winning the Champions League next time.
“‘That’s the objective. After winning these titles in the last few years the very next objective is to win the Champions League.’”
Bacary Sagna’s transfer to the Blues looks imminent according to the Mirror. The right back looks set to depart the Emirates for the Etihad for free after the Frenchman rejected a series of new deals with the Gunners.
“Sagna is keen to join City and will sign a three-year deal with the Premier League champions worth around £120,000-a-week,” writes David Anderson.
“The Blues want Sagna to ease some of the burden on Pablo Zabaleta and the France right-back’s arrival will hasten Micah Richards’ departure from the Etihad.
“Sagna, 31, rejected three offers from Arsenal to stay at the Emirates and the final act of his seven-year Gunners career was to lift the FA Cup on Saturday.
“Fenerbahce matched City’s offer, but the Blues were always Sagna’s first choice.”
Elsewhere, the Mail’s Simon Jones believes that Scott Sinclair is a target for Southampton with the Saints ready to lodge a £3m bid for the winger who has found chances to shine at the Etihad at a premium since his switch from Swansea:
“The 25-year-old has endured a frustrating stint at the Etihad since his £6.2m move from Swansea, with limited appearances under former boss Roberto Mancini and an unsuccessful loan stint at West Brom.
“Despite uncertainty over the future of boss Mauricio Pochettino, the Saints are tracking Sinclair in a bid to revive his ailing career.
“City are keen to shed their playing squad to comply with FIFA's Financial Fair Play Regulations.”